Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 8 A New Hope

Today was a great day especially compared to yesterday.  After going to bed around 5:30am due to staying up all night watching the walking dead marathon getting up at 11 was a little harder than I would have liked but a half cup of coffee later and I was surprisingly awake and feeling good.  I spent the first hour of my waking day just relaxing in the common room looking at a menu trying to figure out what I wanted to order for lunch since I had at this point already missed breakfast.  Before long one of the nurses comes into the common room to discuss the "rumors about going for a walk".  At first I assumed this would be very depressing news, and that we would be told that we would not be able to leave until our bodies were free of the dangerous bacteria, but this was not the case.  The rumors of a walk, were rumors until today. At this point she informed us that if we wanted to go for a walk we should meet her at the nurses station in 30 minutes. I took this opportunity to bathe as I was finally going to bee going outside for the first time since October 6th, and the thought of possibly interacting with people whom I hadn't heard intimate details of the frequency and consistency of their stools was enough to motivate me to look like a real person again.  Thirty minutes later and I was clean, dressed, and waiting at the nurses station ready to go, along with 6 others.


We left the hospital through the McClure Lobby entrance and for the first time in 8 days stepped outside into the fresh air and sunlight.  We were informed that if we were to "happen" to run into one of our friends that the possibility of future walks would be severely reduced.  This frightened me a little having just graduated from UVM I still know a decent number of students and our walk would take us right through the center of UVM campus.  Buuuuut oh yeah its Sunday, so everyone I know that I would likely run into is most likely still very hungover.  We proceeded to walk through and all around campus giving us a solid 45 minutes to an hour where we were able to meander around campus enjoying the beautiful 67 degree sunny weather.  Even though this tour was guided and with two chaperons who were keeping a very close eye on us it was still a dream come true. Hopefully today's dose of vitamin D will keep me going as the forecast is not so nice for the coming days, but I will continue to go for walks with my master....errrrr... I mean nurse, whenever I'm given the opportunity.



Upon returning from our little field trip with much higher spirits I realized I never got around to eating lunch and proceeded to do so, ordering the grilled pesto salmon with a side of carrots a side salad, bruschetta, and a pudding.  Well someone in the kitchen must be reading my blog because they sent me up my meal which contained everything but the side salad.  They sent me a container of salad dressing but absolutely nothing to put it on.  This seemed a little TOO suspicious so I'm now working on a way too infect the kitchen staff with cholera while I still carry the dangerous bacteria in my bowels.  Okay this may or may not be considered bio-terrorism but they have just pushed me TOO FAR! (Guys, guys I'm kidding, relax, I'm not going really do anything like that I'm just trying to be entertaining.) But for realz, this alleged "mistakes" are getting really annoying.

At this point a delivery arrived for me, which my roommate Steph so graciously delivered despite being incredibly hungover, containing some cash (in case I wanted some extra food from Leonardo's) as well as a frisbee and a few surprises she threw in. "Poop Pup" and the world's most underrated candy bar.

\

Next up one of the wonderful hospital staff made a delivery for us, containing more controllers and a couple more games including Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword which I've heard is AWESOME.  We also at this point decided to order pizza from Leonardo's for dinner as there was enough money left in the budget for 2 large pizza's as well as for enough supplies for an ice cream party.  Fast forward 5 hours and we have large Maine potato and chicken basil pesto pizza's which were both amazing (don't ask me specifically what was on them because I don't know. Look it up on Leonardo's site).  Once we were finished with the pizza we moved on the the icecream which I finished just in time for the season premier of Walking Dead, giving me just enough time to run back to my room and wheel my recliner, which I realized today is an ACTUAL LA-Z-BOY, into the common room for the viewing party.  After walking dead ended a few of us proceeded to play Zelda for a couple hours which, like many games, started off a little slow but did start to become really cool after we go into it.

 


Daaaaayumn them eyes is sexy.
Whoever made fun of me for claiming this would be my vacation inside the hospital, BOO YAH!  When was the last time you, slept in until 11, went for a walk, ordered lunch, had delicious FREE gourmet pizza for dinner, followed by a free ice cream party, then watched Walking Dead in an incredibly comfortable La-Z-Boy, followed by some cool video games, ALL THE WHILE being paid to do so? Yeah, That's what I thought.  After today I'm  not sure I want to leave. After volunteering (begging) to be in the next cohort of subject as I would happily be paid to do all of this again I was informed simply that "No, it doesn't work that way".  Minor details, I think I'll keep pushing the subject.

Point of the story, it was a great day, I'm great, cholera is great, and this study was probably the best thing I could have done with my past week. Definitely the most profitable.

Now that its almost 4am I think I should go to bed.  The nurses come check on me every hour, and I'm pretty sure they're beginning to think I'm nuts.

Current Pudding Tally 17

Oh yeah. Today's "Data" was of type 2 consistency.

I'm Pooped.

1 comment: